Who We Are
The Thunder Bay District Health Unit one of 36 Public Health Units operating in the Province of Ontario, Canada. We are a non-profit agency funded jointly by the provincial government and the municipalities we serve.
What We Do
In response to the health needs of the community, we:
- provide health information and prevention-related clinical services to people of all ages;
- advocate for healthy public policy;
- protect you by investigating reportable diseases;
- uphold regulations that apply to public health;
How We are Governed
The Health Unit is governed by a Board of Health which is comprised of twelve municipal representatives and three provincial appointees.
Our role is described in the Ontario Public Health Standards and Protocols.
In addition, The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care and the Ministry of Health Promotion and Sport have released a set of organizational and governance standards that apply to all Ontario boards of health. The Ontario Public Health Organizational Standards explains the government’s expectations for governance and administrative practices.
A history of Ontario's Boards of Health, their changing roles and funding can be found at the alPHa website (Association of Local Public Health Agencies)
Our Local Organization
- To see the district that we cover, and branch offices, including addresses, fax numbers and phone numbers, visit our Locations page.
- For information about getting to our Balmoral site, please see our How to Get to Us page.
- For career opportunities, visit the Careers page.
- We have many volunteer opportunities where you can help out your community or find out what it is like to work here.
View our Privacy Statement (pdf file). For more informatin about our privacy practices, contact our Privacy Officer at 807-625-8818.
Please read our Copyright Statement before using the material on this website for anything other than personal use.
Health Information on this Web Site
During this virtual visit to the Health Unit, you will have the opportunity to receive information on the programs and services provided to the residents of the City and District of Thunder Bay, Ontario. Information is written by professionals who work in the individual fields.
However, the information provided on this site is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her existing physician. Please see our Site Disclaimer.
If you would like to link to us, or have any questions or comments about the Web Site, please visit our feedback page to contact us. If requested, you should expect a reply within two business days.
If you would like to find other public health organizations, check out our link page.