Search PageSearch
Special Events, Fairs and Festivals

Contact Us
999 Balmoral Street
Thunder Bay, ON
P7B 6E7
Phone: (807) 625-5900
Toll-Free: (888) 294-6630
Follow us on Facebook.COM/TBDHealthUnit Follow us on Twitter.Com/TBDHealthUnit Follow us on Instagram.COM/TBDHealthUnit Phone Us Add to favourite Email this page to a friend Bigger Font SizeNormal Font SizeSmaller Font Size

Special Events, Fairs and Festivals

 If you are planning to sell or give away food to the public, learn how to put food safety first.

You MUST NOTIFY the Health Unit and complete the required forms. If you don't, you risk having your booth/event shut down.

For more information call 625-5930 or toll-free 1-888-294-6630, ext 5930

Individuals and organizations planning to hold a fair, festival, charity barbeque or other special event where food will be served MUST NOTIFY the Health Unit in advance. This will ensure the Health Unit is aware of the event and has the opportunity to provide the appropriate application form(s) and operating guidelines.  

The operation of food concessions will be in jeopardy if the event does not have Health Unit approval.

The appropriate guidelines and forms are available by download (see below) or by contacting our office at 807-625-5930 or toll-free at 1-888-294-6630, ext 5930.

Click on the links below to learn more:



Exemption Information:

Click here to view and/or download the special events operating guidelines, which includes information on exemptions.

Click on the links below to access the resources you will need:



Safe Food Handling Courses

The Health Unit recommends that event organizers include in their event contracts the stipulation that at least one staff person from each vendor be certified in safe food handling.

For more information on the courses offered by the Health Unit, please click here.  To speak with a public health inspector, call 625-5930 or 1-888-294-6630, ext. 5930.



Hand Hygiene

Organizers must provide some form of hand hygiene (e.g. to clean hands) for those attending the event. In permanent washrooms, liquid or powdered soap and paper towels in a dispenser are required at all times.

If providing portable privies, one of the following is acceptable:

    • moist hand towelettes (wet wipes)
    • alcohol-based hand sanitizer
    • central handwashing station with adequate supplies of soap and paper towels



Grey/Waste Water Disposal

All grey/waste water must be disposed of in an approved sanitary manner (e.g., dumped into a holding tank or poured down a sink which drains into an approved sewage system). Water is not to be dumped onto the ground surface.

Where the sewage system does not allow for disposal, a separate holding tank shall be provided for grey/waste water storage. Only CSA approved tanks will be permitted. For more information, please call a public health inspector at 625-5930 or 1-888-294-6630, ext. 5930.


Last Updated: 2/6/2015