Outbreaks in the City of Thunder Bay:
Outbreaks in the District:
Click on the links below to learn more about the Infectious Disease Program.
What is the role of the Infectious Disease Program?
The Infectious Disease program at the Health Unit is committed to reducing the incidence of infectious diseases of public health importance within the City of Thunder Bay and District.
Public Health Nurses and Public Health Inspectors work together to:
- investigate and respond to all reportable infectious diseases in the community, health care facilities, licenced child care centres and schools
- provide counselling, consultation and health education, and infection control policies and procedures for health care facilities, licenced day care centres and personal service settings (e.g. esthetic salons)
- manage the outbreaks of illness, in collaboration with the health care facility
- increase the public’s knowledge of the importance of infection prevention and control practices by developing and delivering public education campaigns (e.g. importance of hand washing)
- monitor and analyze disease trends in the community
What infectious diseases are reportable to the Health Unit?
For a complete list of reportable diseases, please click here.
How can I contact the Infectious Disease Program?
Please call 625-8318 or toll-free 1-888-294-6630. ext. 8318.