August 26, 2009 - The respiratory outbreak in the long-term facility at Manitouwadge General Hospital has been declared over. Visitation, admissions, transfers and discharges have resumed.
To prevent further outbreaks, the Health Unit and facility management request that those who have been ill, or who are not feeling well, wait until they recover before visiting to avoid spreading infections to those most vulnerable including the elderly and those with other chronic illnesses.
The Health Unit reminds the public to prevent getting and spreading infections by:
- Cleaning your hands often with soap and warm water, or using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Covering your cough/sneeze with a tissue or your upper sleeve.
- Disinfecting all commonly used surfaces, like door knobs and light switches.
- Making sure all immunizations are up-to-date, including the annual flu shot.
- Staying at home if you are sick to avoid spreading infections to others.