The Thunder Bay District Health Unit (TBDHU) plays a lead role on the Snowmobile, ATV, Vessel Education (SAVE) Committee, a regional initiative designed to:
- Promote awareness, education, and enforcement of safe ATVing, boating and snowmobiling throughout Northwestern Ontario to reduce injuries and fatalities.
- Promote using recreation vehicles in an environmentally friendly manner.
What We Do
The SAVE Committee Strategy
- Work with community partners in Northwestern Ontario to promote safe use of ATVs, boats and snowmobiles
- Reduce and prevent collisions and injuries related to ATV, boat and snowmobile use
- Influence ‘social norms’ to reflect that using a recreation vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is socially unacceptable. Support safety laws (including provincial and municipal), policies and enhanced enforcement
- Educate the public on proper ATV size according to the age and size of a child using it.
The SAVE Committee has a number of community and government partners including:
- Thunder Bay District Health Unit
- Ministry of Natural Resources
- Ministry of Transportation
- Ontario Provincial Police
- Thunder Bay Fire Rescue
- Thunder Bay Police
- Canadian National Police
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police
- Gillons Insurance
For Further Information
Call the Injury Prevention & Substance Misuse Program: (807) 625-5900