The Thunder Bay District Health Unit supports a maternal mental health group therapy provided by St. Joseph's Care Group Mental Health Outpatient Program. The therapy group is for pregnant women who are having mental health difficulties or for women experiencing mood changes after baby.
Who can Attend?
Women who are at least 16 years of age, pregnant, or women who have given birth in the past 12-18 months and have had mood changes for more than 2 weeks.
Mental health difficulties or mood changes can be:
- Feeling sad or tearful
- Having a loss of interest in previously enjoyed things
- Changes in eating or sleeping habits
- Feeling exhausted but unable to sleep
- Feeling hopeless, overwhelmed, anxious or angry
- Or having trouble bonding with your baby
Benefits of Taking Part
- Meet other women who are having a similar experience
- Have access to other services
- Research and experience show that women who get the support or treatment that they need, feel better quicker.
- Childcare and bus tickets are available to participants if needed. Please check with our staff first.
How to get Connected?
Referral to the group is through the northwestaccesspoint.ca by a healthcare provider. Please indicate referral to Postpartum Mood Difficulties (PPMD) group. New referrals and current St. Joseph's Care Group clients are welcome.
Upon referral, the client will be contacted by a Decision Guide who will set the client up for success and match them with the service needed (straight to PPMD group, individual counselling, etc.)
Women can also self-refer. If there is no following healthcare provider, the Decision Guide can assist the client in this area. Please call (807) 624-3416 for more information about the group or to self-refer.
For Further Information
Call a Public Health nurse: (807) 625-5900
or toll-free: 1-888-294-6630