The Ontario Government currently mandates the use of masks/face coverings in the indoor premises of all businesses and organizations (including a business vehicle), with some exceptions. TBDHU’s Instruction Letter to Employers, Business Owners and Operators for mandatory masks/face coverings also remains in effect. Where there are differences between the regulation and TBDHU’s instruction letter, whichever is the stricter expectation will be required.
For details, visit the Mandatory Masks Directive for Businesses and Organizations page.
Under instructions issued by the Medical Officer of Health, all businesses and organizations in the Thunder Bay District Health Unit area must adopt a policy that requires all members of the public and employees who enter or remain in an enclosed public space to wear a mask or face covering. This policy was effective Friday, July 24, 2020.
- Instruction Letter to Employers, Business Owners and Operators (PDF)
- Lettre d'instructions aux employeurs, entreprises et exploitants (PDF)
A sample policy will be available for businesses and organizations to adapt and use.
In addition to having a policy requiring masks, businesses and organizations must:
- Train their employees on the requirements of the policy and how to implement it.
- Post signs to remind employees and customers about the requirement to wear a mask.
- Be able to provide a copy of the policy upon request to a public health inspector or other person authorized to enforce the provisions of the Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act (EMCPA).
The following posters should be printed off and posted in the entrance of your place of business: