The Ontario Government currently mandates the use of masks/face coverings in the indoor premises of all businesses and organizations (including a business vehicle), with some exceptions. TBDHU’s Instruction Letter to Employers, Business Owners and Operators for mandatory masks/face coverings also remains in effect. Where there are differences between the regulation and TBDHU’s instruction letter, whichever is the stricter expectation will be required.
For details, visit the Mandatory Masks Directive for Businesses and Organizations page.
Health Canada has recalled face masks that contain graphene as they may pose health risks. See the Health Canada Recalls and Safety Alerts website for full details, including products affected, what you should do and where to direct questions.
Across Ontario, it is mandatory that the general public and employees wear a mask or other form of face covering in indoor spaces of all businesses and organization, including business vehicles, and when lined up or congregating outside of an establishment (unless exemptions apply). Masks are also recommended in any setting where it is difficult or not possible to keep 2 metres from others, including outdoors. It is important to know that mask wearing alone will not prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Wearing a mask is part of a comprehensive COVID-19 prevention strategy that includes physical distancing, keeping hands clean, cleaning commonly-touched surfaces often, staying home when sick and getting tested if symptoms develop.
A mask can help stop the spread of respiratory droplets from a person’s mouth or nose (e.g. from a cough, sneeze, breathing or speaking moistly). Some evidence suggests that COVID-19 can be spread by people who aren't showing symptoms (asymptomatic) or have mild symptoms. Wearing a mask can be an added layer of protection.
Additional Resources and Information
- Non-Medical Masks and Face Coverings - Public Health Agency of Canada
- How to Wear and Care for Your Reusable Mask Tip Sheet (PDF)
- Mask Care Information for Students and Families (PDF)
- Mandatory Masks Poster for Businesses (with Exemptions) (PDF)
- Masque ou couvre-visage obligatoire (avec des exemptions) (PDF)
- How to Wear a Mask Properly Poster (PDF)
- Does your mask fit properly? Poster - Public Health Agency of Canada
- Portez correctement votre masque ou votre couvre-visage (PDF)
- How to Safely Use a Non-Medical Mask or Face Covering - Public Health Agency of Canada