As COVID-19 cases continue to rise at an alarming rate, a State of Emergency and Provincewide Stay-at-Home Order are in effect as of Thursday, April 8 at 12:01 a.m. This puts in place shutdown measures to help to stop the rapid transmission of COVID-19 variants in communities, protect hospital capacity and save lives. Visit the Current Level page for more details.
Places of Worship
Places of worship may provide service with capacity limits and public health measures in place. Below is a brief summary of gathering limits for ceremonies and social gatherings. In all scenarios, attendees must remain at least 2 metres apart unless they are from the same household.
- Capacity for religious services, rites or ceremonies, including wedding services and funeral services, where physical distancing can be maintained (applies in any venue other than a private dwelling):
- Indoors: Maximum of 10 people
- Outdoors: Maximum of 10 people.
- Social gatherings before or after a religious service or ceremony (e.g. wedding or funeral reception):
- Indoors: Not permitted.
- Outdoors: Not permitted.
- Virtual and drive-in events and religious services, rites or ceremonies are permitted.
- Indoor and outdoor services cannot be combined to increase the allowable gathering limit.
- The booking of more than one room for any particular event is not permitted.
- Guests attending a ceremony should follow general infection prevention and control measures, including not attending if they are feeling sick or if they are in self-isolation, following proper hand washing practices, cough etiquette, and maintaining a physical distance of 2 metres from those who are not from the same household. Guests must also wear a mask or face covering, unless exempt as outlined in Ontario Regulation 82/20 (Schedules 1-5).
- For drive-in services:
- Each person in attendance, other than the person(s) conducting the services, must remain within a motor vehicle, except where necessary to use a washroom, or as may otherwise be necessary for the purposes of health and safety.
- Each vehicle must be positioned at least 2 metres away from other vehicles.
- Guidance for Places of Worship (PDF)
- Guidance for Funeral and Bereavement Services during COVID-19 - Ministry of Health
Please check with the cemetery you would like to visit to learn more about the hours of operation, appointment requirements and other visitor details. Visitors to any cemetery in Thunder Bay and District are encouraged to maintain a safe physical distance of at least 2 metres apart from others.