It is strongly recommended that people over 70 stay home (self-isolate). The Government of Ontario is also strongly recommending that people who have compromised immune systems and/or underlying medical conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes and lung disease, self-isolate and get help with essential errands.
5 Things You Can Do to Protect Yourself
Older adults have an increased risk of severe outcomes from COVID-19. There are general infection prevention and control measures that should be used to decrease the spread and impact of the disease. In addition to these here are 5 things older adults can do to protect themselves:
- Monitor Your Symptoms
- Wash Your Hands for 20 Seconds
- Cover Your Cough and Sneeze
- Disinfect Surfaces
- Stay at Home as Much as Possible
With seniors being at higher risk of more severe outcomes from COVID-19, it is important that seniors:
- Avoid all non-essential travel.
- Avoid local public transportation if possible, as you are unable to physically distance from others.
For more information visit the returning from travel webpage.
If You’re Not Feeling Well
If you are not feeling well and think you may have COVID-19 symptoms:
- Use the Self-Assessment Tool OR;
- Call the TBDHU at (807) 625-5900 or 1-888-294-6630 OR;
- Call Telehealth at 1-866-797-0000 (TTY: 1-866-797-0007)
- Call 911 if you are in need of immediate medical attention.
Health Care Provider Appointments
If you need to see your Health Care Provider (ie: Doctor, Nurse Practitioner, etc.):
- Call your Health Care Provider first before attending your appointment to see how they will continue with the appointment.
- If you are unable to access your Health Care Provider for your appointments and you need medical attention, you can try Cover.Health which is an online (virtual health) walk in clinic.
Ask for Help
- Ask for help getting essential supplies to last the 14 days.
- Check with your local pharmacy and grocery store for special senior hours and/or delivery options.
- If you have a favourite restaurant call to see if they offer senior discounts, take-out and/or delivery.
- Call 211 or visit their website for services available for seniors in your area such as food banks, grocery stores, taxes, mental health services and so forth.
Food Programs for Seniors
These are some free/low cost meal or food hamper options for seniors in need. Things are constantly changing - call 211 or visit their website to find out more.
* Note: Please send us a direct message if you know of other food programs in the Thunder Bay District that we may not be aware of.
For a printable copy of this information, please see the Additional Resources section below.
Dealing with Stress and Feeling Safe
Sometimes during a crisis, people can feel stressed. To help deal with stress do things to support yourself:
- Take breaks from watching, reading, or listening to news stories.
- Take deep breaths, stretch, or meditate.
- Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals and drink lots of fluids.
- Try to get some fresh air and sunlight daily by opening curtains and or windows.
- Try some activities you enjoy.
- Connect with others over the phone or by social media. Check out the service "A Friendly Voice" for seniors who may be feeling lonely or isolated and want to talk to someone.
- Talk with people you trust about your concerns and how you are feeling.
- Remember, that this situation will pass and life will return to normal.
Caring for Seniors
- If you live with or know any older adults, ask how you can help them.
- See if they need anything picked up for them, such as medication refills, groceries, cleaning products or other supplies they may need.
- Ask if they need any meals prepared, a dog walked, or if there is anything else you can do for them.
- Respect their ability to make decisions about their needs.
- Phone calls, texts or other ways people prefer to communicate can be used to just chat or see how they are doing will help them to feel connected.
- Talking about positive things will help to alleviate stress and fear.
- DO NOT VISIT if you are not feeling well for any reason or if you have travelled in the last 14 days.
For more information on COVID-19 visit the COVID-19 topics of interest webpage.