If you have been told by TBDHU that you will eligible for testing, you will be contacted if testing is appropriate and where and when the testing will take place.
Testing will be prioritized for:
- Individuals with symptoms who have travelled to an impacted area.
- Individuals with symptoms that are close contacts of a confirmed or probable case of COVID-19
- Individuals with symptoms that are close contacts of a person with acute respiratory illness who has been to an impacted area.
Testing is currently not being scheduled for individuals without symptoms, even if they are self-isolating.
Testing results take approximately 5 to 9 days from the date of your test. A TBDHU nurse will contact all individuals tested regarding their results. Due to high call volume, the TBDHU requests that individuals who are tested wait for a call from the TBDHU.
From the Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre's media release (March 17, 2020):
The Assessment Centre is located on-site outside of the Hospital’s Emergency Department. Because the Assessment Centre is a separate space, it reduces the risk of infection spread and eases pressure on the Emergency Department. Assessments for COVID-19 symptoms will be conducted by nurses. Recommendations regarding patient self-monitoring, self-isolation and/or treatment will be determined following the assessment.
“I must stress the importance of ensuring the Assessment Centre is available to those who truly need it,” said Dr. Stewart Kennedy, who is leading the Hospital’s COVID-19 Incident Management System. “People who have not been specifically told to visit the Assessment Centre by an appropriate source will be redirected. This is for everyone’s health and safety.”
The TBRHSC and Paramedicine COVID-19 assessment centres are available only to those who have been directed by the TBDHU or Telehealth Ontario to attend and have an appointment.
The need to perform COVID-19 swab testing will be determined by strict medical directives.
Read the entire media release here: Media Release from TBRHSC.
District Assessment Centres
- All district assessment centres are available only to those who have been directed by TBDHU district offices, their health care provider or Telehealth to attend. All centres are by appointment only.
- TBDHU district offices can accept all COVID-19 inquiries Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the numbers listed below.
Nipigon Assessment Centre
- Communities of Nipigon, Dorion, Red Rock
- Call TBDHU branch office at 807-886-1060 or their health care provider.
Terrace Bay Assessment Centre
- Communities of Schreiber, Terrace Bay
- Call TBDHU branch office at 807-825-7770 or their health care provider.
Marathon Assessment Centre
- Community of Marathon
- Call TBDHU branch office at 807-229-1820 or Marathon Family Health Team at 807-229-3243.
Manitouwadge Assessment Centre
- Community of Manitouwadge
- Call TBDHU Marathon branch office at 807-229-1820 or Telehealth Ontario at 1 (866) 797-0000.
Greenstone Assessment Centre
- Community of Greenstone
- Call TBDHU branch office at 807-854-0454.
For more information on COVID-19 visit the COVID-19 topics of interest webpage.