What We Do
Outreach, Needle Exchange and Related Services
The Superior Points Harm Reduction Program is involved in a variety of services including:
- Offering needle/syringe exchange and other harm reduction services including providing condoms and sterile water
- Providing HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis C prevention education to clients
- Outreach and referral to other agencies
- Providing presentations to community agencies and the general public
Outreach services are available Monday through Friday - 11am to 4pm and 5pm to 8pm
How to Safely Get Rid of Found Needles
Follow these steps to safely get rid of found needles or any other used, sharp object:
- Do not try to put the cap back on the needle.
- Do not snap, break, or bend any part of the needle.
- Pick the needle up carefully. Use tongs, needle-nosed pliers, or a gloved hand.
- Put the needle in a hard PLASTIC container (empty peanut butter jar, pop or water bottle). Seal it tightly and label it “Needle”. Do not use a glass container as it could break.
Call Superior Points at 625-8831 or 625-7996 to pick up the needle(s). You can also drop off the container at any yellow needle collection box (locations listed below).
If you find a needle and do not wish to dispose of it yourself, you may also call Superior Points for pickup. Please give as many details as possible about the location of the needle and include a contact phone number so that we can follow up with you. Please note that needle pickup times vary depending on availability of staff.
Please refer to this TBDHU brochure for information regarding safe needle disposal.
Locations of Outdoor Metal Needle Disposal Bins
- Alley 100 block of Simpson St. off Miles St.
- Alley 100 block of Bethune/Cumming Streets
- Royal Edward parking lot
- North End Kaministiqua Park
- Alley 100 block of North May St. off Victoria Ave.
- Machar Ave. alley near Wilson Park
- 420 George Street
- Dease St. (alley just off McKenzie St. (behind St. Luke's Church))
For Further Information
Call the Superior Points program: (807) 625-8831 or (807) 625-7996
or toll-free: 1-888-294-6630