Collection of Personal Health Information
The Thunder Bay District Health Unit will only collect your personal health information directly from you, from a person acting on your behalf, or from other sources if we have obtained your consent to do so, or if the law permits.
The information that we collect can include:
- date of birth
- health history
- records of your visits to the Health Unit
- care that you received during your visits
How We Use and Disclose Your Personal Health Information
We use and disclose your personal health information to:
- treat and care for you
- get payment for your treatment
- plan, deliver and manage Health Unit services and programs
- compile statistics
- share information with other health care providers
- meet legal requirements
You have the right to:
- see and correct your personal health records
- tell us you want to withdraw your consent for some of the ways we use your information
We Protect Your Information
- We make sure your information is not lost, stolen or used by someone that should not have access
- We also make sure it is kept private and is stored and/or disposed of in a secure way.
- We ensure that everyone that performs services for us protects your privacy and only uses your health information in the way you have agreed it can be used.
How to Contact Us
For more information about our privacy practices, contact our Privacy Officer at 625–8818.
You have the right to complain to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario if you are concerned with how we have handled your Personal Health Information. Click here to view a copy of the Privacy Statement.
The Commissioner can be reached at:
2 Bloor Street East, Suite 1400
Toronto, ON M4W 1A8