For all TBDHU-created teacher resources in PDF format, please visit our Resources page and filter Audience by "Educators" and desired Health Topic:
Healthy Messages 2 Go PowerPoint
Healthy Messages 2 Go is a self-playing PowerPoint presentation with health promotion messages for parents and students. This presentation can be played in your school foyer or at school events while parents are waiting. View the presentation or click below to download. (Note: Presentation Last Updated: September 2016)
Tools, Fact Sheets and Checklists
- A Tool for Every Teacher (PDF) - Frequently asked questions about role modeling and teaching to positively impact your students.
- Rethinking Rewards - Rewards are commonly used to recognize students for classroom success. However, rewarding children with food, healthy or unhealthy, can lead to problems with children’s diets and health. You can help your students practice what they learn in the classroom about healthy eating and Canada’s Food Guide by ensuring that classroom rewards are healthy.
- Tips for School Fundraising - Fundraising to support school activities is common and important. You can help your students practice what they learn in the classroom about healthy eating and Canada’s Food Guide by ensuring that your school fundraising activities are healthy.
- Joint Consortium for School Health - Healthy School Planner - The Healthy School Planner is a free tool that schools can use to assess the current health environment and build a plan to make improvements. Watch the video below for more info:
- Eat Well & Be Active Educational Toolkit (Health Canada) - The Eat Well and Be Active Educational Toolkit is designed to help those who teach groups of children and adults about healthy eating and physical activity, and encourage individuals to take action to maintain and improve their health.
- Bright Bites - This website offers healthy eating tips, tools and public health support to help Ontario schools create a healthy nutrition environment.
Personal Safety & Injury Prevention
- Allergy Aware.ca - This website has been developed to assist school boards, principals, teachers, staff and others who play an important role in helping to create safer environments for pupils with life-threatening allergies.
- Concussion course for Elementary and Secondary School Teachers ($14.99 from Parachute) - This course gives teachers and educators the tools and resources they need to understand when to remove a student from play and the classroom. While most young players will recover fully from a concussion, the Return to Play Protocol will help front-line staff identify the signs and symptoms of concussion, establish an environment that encourages complete recovery, and discuss the appropriate timelines and activities related to returning to play and school following a concussion.
- A humourous video of "Sneezing Olympics" that can be shown to your students:
- Ontario Ministry of Education on Physical Activity - Resources and tools to be used in the classroom for the purpose of encouraging physical activity among students.
- Positive Mental Health Toolkit from Pan Canadian JCSH
- Promoting Mental Health: Finding a Shared Language video from the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health:
For Further Information
Call the Healthy Schools Program: (807) 625-5900
or toll-free 1-888-294-6630