Are you protecting your most important business asset?
No matter how big or small, any company’s biggest asset is its employees.
Top 5 reasons to invest in employee wellness (PDF):
- More productive and engaged employees
- Improved workplace culture and staff morale
- Reduced absenteeism
- Less turnover and better ability to attract new talent
- Good return-on-investment - wellness programs don’t have to be expensive to show reduced health and benefits costs
Healthy workers are good for business! Organizations that support employee health create positive work environments. As a result, employees tend to be more engaged, satisfied with their jobs and devoted to company success.
What is a healthy workplace?
A healthy workplace (PDF) is one where employers, employees, and other partners combine efforts to enhance the wellbeing of people at work. Every organization can build a wellness program to suit its unique needs. Successful programs make sure that:
- the workplace is free of hazards to physical safety
- employee mental health is promoted and protected
- healthy lifestyle behaviours are encouraged
- the business is involved in supporting a healthy community
What’s involved in having a workplace wellness program?
To ensure that the workplace wellness program meets the needs of all involved and is sustainable over time, it must be developed using a thoughtful approach. The step-by-step process involves (PDF):
- Mobilize and assemble – gain commitment from stakeholders, especially management, and assemble a Healthy Workplace Team. This ensures that everyone is working towards the same goals and that the program will be successful in the long run.
- Assess – gather and analyze workplace data in order to understand what the needs are and to make sure that the program targets the most important health risk areas. It also helps to have baseline data which can be used in the future to measure the impact.
- Plan - detail how the Healthy Workplace Team will address the priorities identified in the needs assessment. Thoughtful planning at this stage will help to avoid surprises and roadblocks later.
- Do - carry out the Healthy Workplace Plan, keeping organizational leaders continuously involved and employees engaged as the program is underway.
- Evaluate - measure progress to show what difference the program is making, to identify how the program can be refined and to help maintain management support. Improvements can be captured in an updated plan that continues to build a healthy workplace.
How can TBDHU help?
TBDHU is here to help you build a healthy workplace at every step. We offer:
- Consultation on building and implementing a workplace wellness program. We will meet with your team, provide planning tools and activity ideas to help meet your needs.
- Membership on the wellness@work network where workplace health promotion champions receive quarterly newsletters by e-mail, invitations to education events, and information about other activities and resources.
For worksites building a workplace wellness program, TBDHU can support with:
- Presentations for your staff on various health topics based on needs identified in a workplace assessment
- Health risk assessments conducted by a public health nurse
- Health promotion displays and resources
Contact our team of workplace wellness experts today. All services are free!
Your workplace wellness is our business. Call Wellness@Work at (807) 625-5900 or toll-free: 1-888-294-6630
For Further Information
Call Wellness@Work at (807) 625-5900
or toll-free: 1-888-294-6630