Section 32 of Ontario Regulation 493 requires that every food premises operator must ensure that at all times during operation there is at least one food handler or supervisor on the premises who has completed provincially-approved food handler training. The Thunder Bay District Health Unit (TBDHU) offers certification options as listed below.
Online Course – In Good Hands
This online food safety course is the most convenient method to obtain certification Individuals work online at their own pace covering all the material needed to successfully pass the provincial exam. A score of 70% or higher on the final exam is needed to receive the Safe Food Handler certificate from the TBDHU.
The course was updated in 2019. The course can be completed on a mobile device, a laptop or a desktop. However, to take the online exam those registering must have access to a laptop or desktop with a webcam to take the final exam.
For more information and to register, please visit the In Good Hands website.
Food Safety Course
The Level 1 Food Safety Course, offered during one seven-hour session, provides all the basics of safe food handling, preparation and storage including:
- How bacteria grow, make us sick, foodborne illness (food poisoning) and responding to foodborne illness
- Causes of food contamination, food allergies
- Hygiene and health issues and handwashing
- Safe food handling including proper food temperatures
- Receiving and storing food safely AND safe serving and dispensing of food
- Dishwashing methods and proper cleaning and sanitizing
- Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) Program
- The role of the Public Health Inspector and the food premises regulation
Participants who score 70% or higher on the final exam will receive a Safe Food Handler certificate from the TBDHU. Certification is valid for five years, after which time the individual can take a special recertification course, outlined below:
- Course fee per person: $75 + HST ($84.75)
- Group Rate of 10+: $65 + HST ($73.45)
For more information on fees, visit our Food Safe Courses Fees page.
Schedule & Registration
Level 1 Certification courses will be offered on the below dates. Registration and payment can be made by clicking on "Buy Tickets." There is a maximum of 25 participants per course.
- January 14, 2020
- February 11, 2020
- March 10, 2020
- March 24,2020 CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
- April 14, 2020 CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19
- May 12, 2020
- May 26, 2020
- June 9, 2020
- June 23, 2020
- September 8, 2020
- October 13, 2020
- November 10, 2020
- December 8, 2020
District Course Information
Special arrangements can be made to offer the course at alternate locations depending on need and number of participants. Please call (807) 625-5930 (Thunder Bay) or 1-888-294-6630, ext. 5930 (District) to discuss options.
Other Approved Courses
Note that any safe food handler certification offered by an Ontario health unit is acceptable. There are other private providers of food safety training and they can be found online at http://bit.ly/MOHLTCapproved.
For Further Information
Call the Environmental Health Program: (807) 625-5900
or toll-free 1-888-294-6630