Healthy Smiles Ontario (HSO) is a government-funded program that provides free dental care for children and youth 17 years old and under. This program covers regular and emergency dental care for eligible children.
Who is Eligible?
Children and youth 17 and under may be eligible if:
- They are residents of Ontario; and
- They are members of a household that meets the income eligibility requirements.
Note: If your family is covered by Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program, your children 17 and under are automatically enrolled in the Healthy Smiles Ontario program. You will receive a Healthy Smiles Ontario dental card in the mail. The dental card must be presented to your dental provider at each dental visit.
What services are covered?
- Regular visits to a licensed dental provider
- Dental services including check-ups, tooth cleaning fillings and extractions
How do I enroll?
- Visit ontario.ca/healthysmiles
- Call Service Ontario INFOline toll-free at 1-844-296-6306 (TTY toll-free at 1-800-387-559)
- The Thunder Bay District Health Unit can also help you enroll. Please call us at (807) 625-5900 or toll free 1-888-294-6630
How do I access urgent or emergency dental care?
If your child is already enrolled in the HSO program, contact your dentist. If your child is not already enrolled in the HSO program, call your dentist to find out if they participate in Healthy Smiles Ontario and book an emergency dental appointment. If you don’t have a dentist or your dentist does not participate in the HSO program, you can contact the Thunder Bay District Health Unit at (807) 625-5900 or toll free 1-888-294-6630.
How can I access free preventive services?
The Thunder Bay District Health Unit offers free cleanings, fluoride applications, sealants and oral hygiene education to eligible children and youth 17 and under. To find out if your child qualifies contact the Oral Health Program at (807) 625-5900 or toll-free at 1-888-294-6630.