Under Section 57 of The Child Care and Early Years Act (CCEYA) licensed child care operators must ensure that all employees are immunized as recommended by the local Medical Officer of Health (MOH).
For all licensed operators in the District of Thunder Bay, employees must have the following immunizations:
- Complete childhood immunization series including Td, Polio and Pertussis
- A tetanus, diphtheria (Td) booster is required every 10 years. One of these boosters should be a pertussis containing tetanus booster (Tdap)
- Combined Measles, Mumps, Rubella Vaccine (MMR)
NOTE: Polio boosters are not routinely given to adults and influenza (flu) immunization is recommended every year.
Tuberculosis (TB) Screening: required for all staff and volunteers who have lived or travelled outside Canada to a country where TB is common or to a First Nations community for more than three months. TB testing is not required for people who have lived in:
- Canada, United States of America, Western Europe, Australia and New Zealand, or
- First Nations communities located in Southern Ontario, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador
Staff can submit objections or exemptions. The forms are the same forms used by children in the facility:
- A Ministry of Education Statement of Medical Exemption form. The form must contain the health care providers (physician or nurse practitioner) signature and licence/registration number. Please note this is NOT the same form that is used for children attending school. The form can be downloaded here: http://bit.ly/medical_exemption
- A Ministry of Education Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief affidavit. The affidavit must contain a commissioner of oath’s signature and contact information. Please note this is NOT the same form that is used for children attending school. The form can be downloaded here: http://bit.ly/belief_exemption
Any written objections to immunization that were obtained prior to August 29, 2016 will be considered compliant; but must be replaced by an approved objection/exemption form and notarized as outlined in the above section on exemption before September 1, 2017.