Most people like to go out for dinner from time to time. Below are some tips for when going to a restaurant or other places to eat that are adapted from the Guide to Eating Out from UnlockFood.ca.
- Look for whole-grain products, such as whole wheat, rye or multi-grain breads, rolls, tortillas, bagels, pancakes, English muffins, hot and cold cereals, pasta, rice, couscous, quinoa, and barley.
- Search for broth-based soups.
- Look for meals that include vegetables, or ask for seasonal veggies as a side.
- Ask for salad dressing on the side and use the amount right for your taste.
- Try to find meat, fish, poultry, or alternatives prepared using low-fat cooking methods such as steaming, broiling, roasting, baking and barbecuing/grilling.
- Ask for plain milk for children’s meals.
- Look for lower-fat desserts such as fresh, canned or frozen fruit, milk pudding, sherbet, gelatin, angel food cake and low-fat frozen yogurt.
- Share a dessert with your companion.
For Further Information
Call the Nutrition Program: (807) 625-5900
or toll-free 1-888-294-6630