Immunizations for School-Aged Children and Youth


TBDHU is resuming enforcement of suspensions under Immunization of School Pupils Act (ISPA) this year for students in grades 2-5 and high school (grades 9-12) for Thunder Bay and surrounding areas, as well as district communities. 

Parents/guardians of students who received ISPA-related letters should call 807-625-5900 in Thunder Bay or their closest branch office to discuss vaccine reporting and clinic options, and to book an appointment if needed. Scroll down for more information about TBDHU’s school vaccine programs. 

Clinics for Students in grades 2-5 and high school in Thunder Bay
Visit for a complete list of all the routine vaccine clinics TBDHU is offering for students who received an order for suspension.


Immunization of School Pupils Act

The Immunization of School Pupils Act requires that all students have proof of vaccination against diphtheria, tetanus (lockjaw), polio, measles, mumps and rubella (German measles), meningitis, pertussis (whooping cough), and chickenpox (required for children born in 2010 or later). Vaccines that protect against these infections are free in Ontario. Please see Ontario’s Routine Immunization Schedule for more information, or the Recommended Vaccines Section on this Page.


Students Entering School in September 2024

If you have any children who are starting kindergarten, who were previously homeschooled, who previously attended a private school, or who will be attending school in Ontario for the first time, TBDHU needs a copy of their immunization record. TBDHU staff need an accurate history of your child’s vaccines so they can determine whether your child has all the vaccines required under the Immunization of School Pupils Act. Most health care providers do not forward immunization information to TBDHU. If your child received a vaccine at a health care provider’s office, it is your responsibility as their parent/guardian to share this information with the TBDHU. You can ensure that your child’s records are up-to-date when they start school by:


Recommended Vaccines


Recent High School Graduates Missing Routine School-Aged Immunizations

Over the last few years, some young adults may have missed opportunities to receive publicly-funded vaccines that have age or grade-based eligibility. Ontario has temporarily expanded the eligibility criteria for some of these vaccines. Recent high school graduates who think they may have missed publicly funded vaccines that are routinely given in school should call 807-625-5900 or their local branch office to speak to a nurse to see which vaccines they are eligible for, which may include:

  • Human Papillomavirus (HPV-9) Vaccine
  • Meningococcal Conjugate (Men-C-ACYW) Vaccine
  • Tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (Tdap) Vaccine


Immunizations for Home Learners

Students learning from home who need vaccines can access immunizations in the following ways:

Health Care Providers

If you have a health care provider, contact them to make an appointment. 

Thunder Bay District Health Unit Clinics

Thunder Bay Area

District Communities

Call your local TBDHU Branch office to learn more about your vaccination options.

Students in this age group should also stay up-to-date on their COVID-19 vaccines. COVID-19 vaccines are available through a variety of channels including health care providers, pharmacies and TBDHU clinics


For Further Information

Call a vaccine nurse at (807) 625-5900 or Toll-Free at 1 (888) 294-6630.

Last Updated: 28/02/2024