I Found a Needle - Now What?
Step by Step Poster
- Bring a puncture-proof, sealable, PLASTIC container (sharps container, peanut butter jar or water bottle) to the site of the needles and place it on a flat surface.
- Pick up the needle from the plunger end with the needle end facing down and away from you. Gloves and/or tongs can be used but the risk of infection from the plunger end is low. Use whatever protective equipment that makes you feel comfortable.
- Pickup and get rid of one needle at a time. Put the needle-end into the container first and close the lid tightly.
- Get rid of the container in a safe disposal bin near you or call Superior Points (621-7861) for pick-up.
Do Not do the Following:
- DO NOT put the cap back on or break off the tip
- DO NOT throw needles in garbage or recycling bins
- DO NOT flush needles down the toilet
Call Superior Points at 621-7861 or 621-7862 to pick up the needle(s). You can also drop off the container at any yellow needle collection box (locations listed below).
If you find a needle and do not wish to dispose of it yourself, you may also call Superior Points for pickup. Please give as many details as possible about the location of the needle and include a contact phone number so that we can follow up with you. Please note that needle pickup times vary depending on availability of staff.
Please refer to this I Found a Needle - Now What? (PDF) poster for information on how to safely pick up and dispose of found needles and/or sharp objects.
Locations of Outdoor Metal Needle Disposal Bins
- Alley 100 block of Simpson St. off Miles St.
- Alley 100 block of Bethune/Cumming Streets
- Royal Edward parking lot
- North End Kaministiqua Park
- Alley 100 block of North May St. off Victoria Ave.
- Machar Ave. alley near Wilson Park
- Dease St. (alley just off McKenzie St. (behind St. Luke's Church))
- 288 Windsor shed next to Blucher
- Limbrick Place - 3rd Limbrick Shed, parking lot A
- Shelter House - 420 George St. - Mailbox style
- Corner of Brodie and Donald parking lot of St Andrews - Mailbox Style
- Corner of Simpson and Ogden Norwest CHC parking lot - Mailbox Style
- Kaministiqua Park close to the James Whalen Tug - Mailbox Style
- Thunder Bay District Health Unit parking lot - Mailbox Style
- Alley beside 510 Victoria Ave. East - Mailbox Style
- 102-106 Cumberland Street North - ElevateNWO - Mailbox Style
For Further Information
Call the Superior Points program: (807) 621-7862 or (807) 621-7861
or toll-free: 1-888-294-6630