Mouth piercings include piercings of the:
- Other areas inside the mouth, like the uvula
Did you know? Mouth piercings can cause:
- Cracked teeth
- Damaged gums
- Difficulties with keeping your mouth clean
I’d like to get a mouth piercing. How can I keep my mouth healthy?
- Take care of your mouth. Brush at least twice a day, floss daily, and rinse your mouth after eating. Learn more: Your Mouth Matters.
- Choose a piercer that's inspected by the Health Unit. Ask the piercer for a copy of the inspection report or call the Environmental Health Program at 625-5930.
- Choose piercings that are made of high-quality plastic or metals.
- Change your toothbrush after a new piercing.
- Follow the after-care instructions provided by the piercer to protect yourself from infection.
- Contact your health care or dental care provider if the area around the piercing is swollen, painful, or if you see any yellow or green discharge (pus).
- TBDHU: Body Art & Salons
- Ontario Dental Hygienists’ Association: Oral Piercing Factsheet
- Call the Health Unit’s Environmental Health Program at 625-5930 or toll-free 1-888-294-6630, ext. 5930
For Further Information
Contact the Oral Health Program at (807) 625-5900 (Thunder Bay) or toll-free 1-888-294-6630 (District).