Mouth injuries are common when playing sports; but there are ways you can prevent them. A mouth guard can protect you from mouth injuries and concussions by absorbing the impact. That’s why it’s important to wear a mouth guard if you’re playing any sports.
How can I protect my teeth with a mouth guard?
Many types of mouth guards are available. Your dental provider can fit you for a mouth guard and make recommendations about which type is best for you. Lower-cost mouth guards are also available at most pharmacies.
Wear your mouth guard anytime you are playing a sport that could cause injuries to your mouth or head.
A good mouth guard is:
- comfortable and fits properly
- allows for normal breathing and swallowing
- odourless and tasteless
- the correct thickness in order to provide good protection against impact
- cleaned and rinsed after each use
- checked regularly to ensure it has no tears or signs of wear
For Further Information
Contact the Children’s Oral Health program at (807) 625-5984