- Keep it simple! Focus on changing one lifestyle habit at a time. As that becomes routine, build in another goal that helps you reach the overall lifestyle you are aiming for.
- Stay positive! Believe in yourself that you can achieve your healthy lifestyle goals. If you have a setback, try not to be down on yourself. Just keep trying!
- Make a plan. Think about the lifestyle you wish yourself in the future and what you can do today to help you get there. Write out a plan that breaks it all down into small realistic steps.
- Get support. Share your healthy lifestyle goals with family members, friends or coworkers who can offer support and help you stick to your plan.
- Peer support has been shown to help encourage people to make healthy lifestyle changes and sustain those changes over time (Reference: Clinical Diabetes and Endocrinology)
- People who write their goals down are 42% more likely to achieve them.