Outbreaks in Effect
(as of Wednesday, February 21, 2018 - 9:30am)
- McCausland Hospital - Terrace Bay (February 15) - Influenza A respiratory outbreak has been declared in the Chronic Care Bed Area of the hospital located at 20B Cartier Road.
- Wilkes Terrace Long Term Care - Terrace Bay (February 15) - Influenza A respiratory outbreak has been declared in the long-term care home (inside McCausland Hospital) located at 20B Cartier Road.
- Hogarth Riverview Manor (February 15) - An outbreak of a respiratory illness has been declared in the Marigold Resident Home Area (5 North) of the facility, located at 300 Lillie Street North.
- Bethammi Nursing Home (February 6) - A facility-wide outbreak of a gastrointestinal illness has been declared at the facility located at 63 Carrie Street.
All admissions, transfers, discharges and social activities will be canceled during an outbreak in the affected areas. Visitors are restricted to family members and caregivers only, so please call the facility for more information.
The Health Unit is urging people to refrain from visiting hospitals and long-term care facilities when feeling unwell to avoid spreading infections to those most vulnerable: young infants and children, the elderly and those with other chronic illnesses.
The Health Unit reminds the public they can prevent getting and spreading infections by:
- Getting a seasonal flu shot from the Health Unit or local health care provider.
- Washing hands often, for at least 15 seconds with soap and warm water, or by using an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Covering coughs/sneezes with the upper sleeve if no tissue is available.
- Putting all used tissues in the garbage right away.
- Staying at home if sick to avoid spreading infections to others.
For Further Information
Call the Infectious Disease or Environmental Health Programs: (807) 625-5900
or toll-free 1-888-294-6630