The resources listed below are the most up to date available and are provided to use in the management of outbreaks in long-term care facilities, retirement homes and public hospitals. If a resource is updated in the future, it will be noted for the reference of all facilities.
Please direct any questions to the public health nurse responsible for your facility or call (807) 625-5900 ext. 8318 or toll-free 1-888-294-6630.
- 2023-2024 Outbreak Management Resource Guide: Compilation of resources in preparation for the 2023-2024 outbreak season. The most up to date version of each section is available as individual resources/print outs on this page and listed below.
- Quick Reference to Outbreak Control & Management: This printable table summarizes Outbreak Definitions, Control Measures, and Management Guidelines for all types of outbreak.
- Getting Started: Enteric Outbreak Flowchart
- Getting Started: Respiratory Outbreak Flowchart
- Ordering from PHO Laboratory: To order Virus - Respiratory / Influenza and Enteric Outbreak Kits directly from Public Health Ontario Laboratory, please fill out the Requisition for Specimen Containers and Supplies. The kits will be delivered directly to your facility.
- PPE Supply Portal: To order COVID-19 Swab Kits or Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) from the PPE Supply Portal, please use the access provided to your facility by MPBSD. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having difficulties or cannot access the portal
- Order directly from TBDHU: Facilities can also contact TBDHU directly to order the enteric and respiratory specimen collection kits by calling (807) 625-5900, ext. 8318 or toll-free at 1-888-294-6630 ext. 8318.
- CONFIRMED Outbreak: Entry Sign
- SUSPECT Outbreak: Entry Sign
- IPAC Hub Posters & Resources : Download and print from the IPAC Hub webpage.
- PHO Additional Precautions Signage and Lanyard Cards : Download and print from the PHO webpage.
- The use of antiviral drugs for seasonal influenza: Foundation document for practitioners: Information about at-risk groups and antiviral use can be found in the Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease Canada (AMMI Canada) document, The use of antiviral drugs for seasonal influenza: Foundation document for practitioners.
- Antiviral Treatment Algorithm: See Appendix A-D in the Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease Canada (AMMI Canada) document, The use of antiviral drugs for seasonal influenza: Foundation document for practitioners.
- Tamiflu Product Monograph
- Paxlovid Guidance for Health Care Providers
- Paxlovid Patient Handout
- COVID-19, Influenza and Viral Respiratory Illness Dashboard: This page provides up to date information about the status of respiratory illness activity in the Thunder Bay District.
- Outbreak Notification : This page provides up to date information about active outbreaks in the Thunder Bay District and can be used by the public to plan visits
- Ontario Respiratory Virus Tool
- Public Health Agency of Canada: FluWatch Surveillance
- Ontario: Recommendations for the Control of Gastroenteritis Outbreaks in Long-Term Care Homes, 2018
- Ontario: Control of Respiratory Infection Outbreaks in Long-Term Care Homes, 2018
- Planning Guide for Respiratory Pathogen Season
- COVID-19 Guidance: Long-Term Care Homes, Retirement Homes and Other Congregate Living Settings for Public Health Units (No LGL version)
- Retirement Homes Regulatory Authority (RHRA) COVID-19 Updates and Resources for Retirement Home Operators (No LGL version)
- Management of Cases and Contacts of COVID-19 in Ontario (COVID-19 Appendix 1 (No LGL version))
- IPAC Hub: Outbreak Training Modules
- IPAC Hub: PPE Training Videos
- Infection Prevention and Control Tips for Visiting All Health Care Settings
For Further Information
Call the Infectious Disease or Environmental Health Programs: (807) 625-5900 or toll-free 1-888-294-6630